Updated: Nov 28, 2020
These 8 incredibly simple Musical Play activities are some of the most important foundational musical experiences for children under 5.
1. Playing drums with pots, pans & wooden spoons
2. Learning 'finger rhymes', such as This Little Piggy
3. Listening and identifying sounds in nature, such as birds, cicadas and rustling leaves
4. Playing around on a tuned instrument such as piano or guitar with no instruction or help
5. Finding 'instruments' outside and experimenting with the sounds they make (stones, sticks, shells, etc.)
6. Peek-a-boo games and songs with high anticipation
7. Exposure to different styles of music, including classical
8. Having a special song that they hear all the time that they come to know really well – such as a lullaby, a welcome song at preschool, a favourite nursery rhyme, a funny rhyme.